In this tutorial, we are going to teach you how to use the Sonar Lite Chrome extension to its full potential. Before you jump into the tutorials, take a minute to familiarize yourself with all the features it has to offer here.
1. To install the extension, click this link which will take you to the product overview page in the Chrome web store.
2. Click the blue “Add to Chrome” button. This will install the extension into your browser.
3. The extension should already be enabled. If not, go to your Settings, then Extensions (in the sidebar) and make sure the the switch under Sonar Lite is checked.
1. In order to use the RUM (Real User Monitoring) feature, simply navigate to any web page and the extension will instantly show how long the page takes to load in your toolbar.
2. Open the extension by clicking on this icon. You will then see all of the websites you have visited since you enabled the extension. The stacked bar graphs will show a color-coded breakdown of the different requests required to load the web page.
3. If you click on a website name, it will show a comparison of page loads for that domain over time (if you visited the domain more than once).4. Click any of the load times to see a detailed breakdown of each request. You can view timings for each request by hovering over the section in the stacked bar graph.
If you want to learn more about the different requests this check is looking for, here is an in-depth look at each request and how each one is calculated: Download PDF.
5. For an even more detailed view, you can scroll down in the window and click the drop-down that says “Show Raw Data”. This will show you to the raw data gathered from our RUM beacon.
6. If at any point you want to remove a domain from the RUM feature, scroll to the bottom of this screen (the detailed request timing breakdown) and click the “Clear this history” button.
A. Please note, the Troubleshoot and Tools section are also available in full page mode by clicking the expand button at the top right of the window.
B. To begin troubleshooting a domain enter your domain name (including subdomain) in the provided field, then choose a location you want to run tests from, then click the “Begin” button.
C. The Troubleshoot wizard will guide you through the steps to identify any issues and will suggest how to resolve the problems. If you want to learn more about the different services used in the wizard click here.
D. We also recommend using the different features in the Tools section to continue troubleshooting.
1. Note: the Troubleshoot and Tools section are also available in full page mode by clicking the button.
2. The Sonar Lite extension uses the same tools as the Sonar Lite mobile application. For a detailed explanation of how to use each tool, please visit the Sonar Lite App page.
1. In the extension, scroll to the bottom of any page and click the “Advanced Settings” button. This is where you can turn data collection on and off as well as how long you would like the extension to store your browsing history for.2. Once you have made your changes, make sure your click the “Save” button.