What is RUM?
Sonar Real-User Monitoring (RUM) monitors web performance from actual users' browsers across a full spectrum of influencing factors such as:
- Page load times
- Connection provider (only offered by Constellix): wired, WiFi, or cellular
- Content performance: images, scripts, HTML
- Various third party services: CDN, third party software/plugins, internet connection, ISP
How to Use RUM
1. Once you log into the Sonar control panel, you will first see the Sonar Dashboard. In the top right of the Dashboard is a drop down menu "Add Check".
2. Select the "Real User Monitoring | RUM" button.
3. You will then see two text boxes:
A) Name: Enter your desired name for the RUM Check
B) Host: Then enter the host or IP address you want to monitor
C) Create: Click the green "Create" button
Note: You will want to enter the same hostname that your clients will use when they enter your website. We will verify that the RUM script is being called from the appropriate web page upon call.
5. Now once visitors start visiting your site, their experience and speeds will be tracked in Sonar. Wait a few minutes to gather some data for your users. You should now see your check under the "Configured Checks" table, the type should be labeled as "RUM".